Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Shepherd's Pie


Shepherd's Pie

As a teenager in Toronto, I used to babysit a little French girl from Montreal.  Zoe loved Shepherd's Pie so much that her mother always made it for us on babysitting nights. This was a meal that Zoe and I enjoyed together ever so much.  Zoe insisted that we eat it with red pickled beets on the side.  This little 5 year old knew what she was talking about!

I never thought to ask her mother for the recipe and wish I had so that I could make the same meal for my 2 little girls.  Nevertheless, this didn't stop me.  Based on remembering the basic ingredients of ground beef, corn, and mashed potatoes, I put together a recipe of my own that's become a classic in our home today.

If there's a hunter in your family, try replacing the ground beef with ground deer.  It's so tasty!

This recipe is very simple and can be frozen in a sealable glass container and reheated at a later date.  I always used to make two and freeze one that I could pull out of the freezer after a day with my family on the ski slopes.



Ingredients:
10 Potatoes
2 packs Ground Meat
1 pack mushrooms
1 large Onion
Can of Corn
Tomato Sauce
Butter
Garlic Powder (for mashed potatoes)
Salt & Pepper


1.   Boil potatoes.

2.   Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil.

3.   Add mushrooms and extra lean ground beef to onions.

4.   Add some tomatoes to flavour (Can be fresh tomato sauce or Passat).

5.   Once meat mixture is fully cooked, pour into the bottom half of a Dutch oven.

6.   Place a layer of corn over the meat (drain water from the can of corn).

7.   Mash the potatoes and layer on top of the corn.

8.   Make pretty pattern with a fork.

9.   Add a couple of strips of butter on the top (optional).

10.        Bake covered at 350°F for 30 minutes and then remove the lid and bake for another 10 minutes.  Broil at end to give a crunchy top.  (Be sure to watch so not to burn while broiling).



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for your comment Ola. It sure is one of my favourites too.

      Delete