1 Egg (optional)
1 tsp Salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1 stick Crisko
1 tsp Vinegar
2 oz glasses of warm water
All purpose Flour
1. In a bowl, mix all ingredients together, gradually adding flour until it no longer sticks to your hands when kneading.
2. Leave covered for 1 hour. (This will not rise).
3. Cut out 12 balls of dough the size of a golf ball.
4. Flatten with hand and baste with melted Crisko.
5. Roll into 8 inch diameter.
6. Baste with a mixture of melted Crisko, 1/2 pound butter and canola oil.
7. Put these 12 pieces onto a plate. One on top of the other. Place a BPA free plastic wrap over the top layer.
8. Repeat steps 3 to 6 and place these 12 pieces on top of the first 12 (separated by a piece of plastic).
9. Cover the whole thing with plastic wrap and freeze.
10. Defrost when ready to use.
NOTE: If making triangles, make layers of 3 and 3 rather than the 12 above.
BAKING a PITA
1. Defrost filo dough.
2. With rolling pin, roll out the 12 layers together.
3. Put onto baking pan.
4. Spread filling all over.
5. Roll out the other 12 layers and cover.
6. Seal ends with fingers.
7. Base top with melted butter.
8. Bake for 1 hour.