Pasta is always a favourite in our home and my famous meat sauce is one that everyone seams to love. I'm often asked for this recipe and have therefore documented my original version below.
Over the years of making this sauce, I've been known to cut back or add an ingredient to give this sauce a different flavour. The possibilities are endless! Some family members enjoy their pasta saucy and others like just a little sauce as illustrated, but the one thing that everyone loves is a handful of grated Swiss Emmenthal Cheese sprinkled all over.
Try sprinkling some fresh chillies overtop to give this dish a bite.
1 large Onion
2 cloves of Garlic
2 Celery sticks
1/2 lb Mushrooms
1/2 Red Pepper
1/2 Green Pepper
1 Hot Pepper (Optional)
Extra Lean Ground Beef
(Optional: Mix extra lean ground beef, ground veal and ground pork for additional flavour)
1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
2 cans of Crushed Tomatoes (Or fresh tomato sauce)
1 cube Sugar
Salt & Pepper
Dill & Parsley flakes (Optional)
1. Saute a large diced onion.
2. Once onion is translucent, add 2 crushed garlic cloves.
3. Add 2 chopped celery sticks.
4. Add 3 grated carrots.
5. On the side, fry ½ lb. mushrooms and add to above.
6. Add ½ red pepper, ½ green pepper and 1 hot pepper (optional).
7. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes
8. On the side, fry extra lean ground beef
9. Mix beef with fried onion mixture
10. Season with a pinch of oregano, dill and parsley, salt and pepper.
11. Add 1 tbsp. tomato paste
12. Add 2 cans crushed tomatoes (or fresh tomato sauce)
13. Cook slowly for approximately 1 hour
14. Add water if too thick
15. If bitter, add 1 sugar cube