|Belgian Endives au Gratin|
Black Forest Ham
Swiss Emmenthal Cheese
Salt & Pepper
1. Boil endives in a pot of water containing 1 whole garlic clove.
2. Drain and keep juice from boiled endives off to the side for use when making sauce.
3. Wrap each endive with a slice of ham and a tiny piece of garlic (If endive is large, cut in half lengthwise and wrap each half separately with a slice of ham).
4. Lay out wrapped endives side by side in a glass cooking dish.
5. Sauce: Butter, 3 tbsp flour, milk, endive juice, cheese
Method: melt butter and whisk in the flour, gradually add liquids to form sauce consistency, season with salt and pepper, add grated cheese and melt to a liquid form. (Save some grated cheese to sprinkle overtop of endives before putting in oven).
5. Pour sauce over the endives in the glass dish.
6. Sprinkle remaining grated cheese overtop.
7. Bake covered with foil at 350°F for approximately 30 to 45 minutes. (Take foil off during last 10 minutes for a crispy top).