This has got to be the absolute best Chocolate Mousse recipe I have ever tasted! It "used" to be my husband's secret recipe from his youth days in Belgium that he would make whenever friends and family would come for dinner.
No matter what I'd make for dessert, my husband's Chocolate Mousse would always steal the show. Seriously! While I would slave in the kitchen forever just to make a fancy dessert, he would simply come home from work and whip this up within minutes. It would be setting in the refrigerator as guests arrived and ready to eat once it was time for dessert.
I finally got my husband to share his recipe after our tenth year together and I've been making this ever since.
4 people ~ 4 eggs
4 strips dark, bitter chocolate
2 ½ tbsp.. sugar
1. Separate eggs into two bowls. (1 for yolks and 1 for whites)
2. Beat egg whites + 1 ½ tbsp.. sugar (the frothier, the better).
3. Beat yolks + 1 tbsp. sugar
4. Melt chocolate. Do not burn. (Can use double burner or microwave).
5. Using a whisk, mix chocolate with yolks.
6. Add whites to mixture. Do not stir, but rather fold in with the whisk by using an up and down motion.
7. Refrigerate to set.
For best results, remove eggs from fridge at least 2 hours prior to preparation.