Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Koulourakia Cookies (Tina K)

Koulourakia
Aunt Tina is so talented in the kitchen.  Not only is she an amazing cook, she's an amazing baker too.  Since my mother's passing, she has taught me many of my mother's family's recipes as well as the ones she's created over the years.

Koulourakia cookies are another one of those recipes that every Greek or Macedonian family shares amongst one another and every recipe is different.  I have tried many different recipes and must have at least 10 versions in my recipe box, however, Aunt Tina's recipe is the BEST!

Here's a couple of links to other Koulourakia recipes from bloggers  I follow and think you may enjoy too:

Ivy is Cypriot and lives in Greece.  She blogs at Kopiaste

Suzanna is Macedonian and lives in Australia.  She blogs at Village Feast






Ingredients:
6 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup orange juice
1 ½ cup sugar
6 cups 5 Rose flour (to start, you may need more)
2 Tbsp baking powder
¼ tsp. vanilla

Finishing:
1 egg for egg-wash (whisk with a Tbsp of water)
Sesame seeds

1.   Mix all above ingredients together in a big bowl and add another cup of flour, if the dough is too sticky.
2.   Take small pieces of dough and roll straight
3.   Fold in half and twist
4.   Baste with egg-wash and decorate with sesame seeds
5.   Bake at 350° F on top rack for approximately 25 minutes. 

NOTE:  Every oven bakes differently.  Be sure to watch first batch carefully to avoid burning and     adjust cooking time.



5 comments:

  1. Thank you for passing from my blog and it's a pleasure to meet you. Thanks also for buying my cookbook. I've added you to my blogroll and shall be following your posts. Your cookies look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you, Ivy. I appreciate the friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank for posting this, I enjoyed reading it, they look really fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Emma. They are fun to make. I love making them for my niece's little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you have this recipe up here.

    ReplyDelete