|Banana Bread Cupcakes with Mastika Cream Cheese Frosting|
Ever since I saw a post on Kopiaste's blog for Banana Bread Cupcakes with Mastic Cream Cheese Frosting, I've been dreaming about making this recipe. I really admire Ivy and her creativity in the kitchen. She is Cypriot, lives in Greece and speaks English too. A very talented lady, indeed!
This banana bread cupcake recipe and icing was created by Ivy.
While I realize that not everyone knows what Mastic is, they can check on Kopiaste's post and read links to the detail of its origin. The only thing I will tell you is that it's found in only one place throughout the world, which is on a specific tree located on one of the Greek islands.
Mastic can be found at a local Greek or Macedonian specialty shop/grocer, or bakery. If you cannot find it, just omit it from the recipe and I can guarantee you that you will still be satisfied.
INGREDIENTS for Banana Bread:
325 grams sifted Cake & Pastry Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
10 tears of Mastika, pounded with 1 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
145 grams Butter at room temperature
270 grams Sugar
3 large ripe Bananas
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
INGREDIENTS for Mastika Cream Cheese Frosting:
400 grams Cream Cheese
60 grams Butter
150 grams Icing Sugar
10 tears of Mastika, pounded with 1 tbsp Icing Sugar
OPTIONAL: 2 Bananas (sliced) for final decoration
Preheat oven to 350F with rack in middle of oven.
1. Sift flour into bowl.
2. Mix in baking soda, mastika and salt.
1. In an electric mixer bowl, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until smooth.
2. Add bananas, one at a time, until they're mashed.
3. Mix in the yogurt.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, until they're fully mixed within the mixture.
5. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients from bowl 1. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Pour batter into lined muffin tins.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Set aside to cool on a wire rack while preparing icing.
- Decorate cupcakes with icing and a slice of banana on top.